Frequently Asked Questions About Connecticut Personal Injury Claims

Whose fault is it when someone trips in a parking garage? How do I prove my car accident was the other driver’s fault? Is a dog owner liable for his dog’s behavior? Get the answers to questions like these and many more in our Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions.
  • Page 1
  • What should I do if I'm involved in a motor vehicle accident?

    Each year, thousands of people are seriously injured or killed on Connecticut roadways in car, truck, and motorcycle accidents. These victims suffer serious injuries—some life threatening and others minor—but all types of cases can cause major emotional trauma and financial complications.

    At Bayer & Black, P.C., we stand ready to provide aggressive representation to our clients to ensure they receive a favorable outcome. If you or a loved one were seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident, you need to contact our team right away.

    Steps to Take After a Motor Vehicle Accident

    1. Make sure everyone is safe
    2. Stay at the scene
    3. Contact emergency services
    4. Never apologize or take the blame
    5. Exchange insurance info
    6. Ask for a copy of the police report
    7. Take pictures
    8. Get names and phone numbers of witnesses
    9. Contact an attorney to represent you

    After a motor vehicle accident, the first thing you need to do is to ensure that all drivers and passengers are safe. DO NOT leave the scene. If medical attention is needed, immediately contact emergency services.

    Make sure to retain the information of the drivers and passengers involved, but do not give away too much information and never apologize to or blame the other driver. When police arrive, speak with them and ask to receive a copy of the police report. If you can, take pictures of the scene and get witness names and phones numbers.

    If you think you may have been at fault for the accident and the other person is injured, call us before you speak to the police. Before you contact either your insurance company or the insurance company of the other driver, you need to retain an attorney to help protect you from incrimination. An attorney can make all the difference in your case and can help you receive the financial compensation that you deserve from the faulty driver.

    We Can Help After a Traffic Accident

    If you were involved in a car accident, truck accident, or other type of motor vehicle accident, it is important that you speak with Bayer & Black, P.C. right away. We will thoroughly review the entire accident and ensure that all details of the case were thoroughly examined. Our firm will help you determine liability and ensure that the wrongful driver is brought to justice for their negligence and wrongdoing. If your accident resulted in catastrophic injuries or a death, we will help you file all necessary claims.

    Are you ready to move forward with your case and speak with an attorney regarding your situation? Contact Bayer & Black, P.C. right away and schedule a free case evaluation now.

  • Is the property owner liable for my slip and fall injuries?

    If you were injured in a slip or fall accident while visiting someone else's private or commercial property, we urge you to contact Bayer & Black, P.C. We have over 40 years of combined experience, we offer free case evaluations and we accept cases on a contingency fee basis. With a former claims adjuster and insurance underwriter on our legal team, we are uniquely qualified to negotiate favorable settlements with insurance companies.

    If you sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident, you may be wondering who is responsible for the accident. Every year, thousands of people are injured when they slip or trip on a wet floor, slippery stairs, ripped or torn carpeting, or on uneven cement. Often, the property owner is held liable for any injuries sustained on their property.

    Specific Circumstances in Which a Property Owner Can Be Held Liable

    While property owners aren't held responsible for every single accident; for example, something that any prudent person should have seen and avoided, they are responsible for maintaining their property and keeping it free from hazards. A property owner can be held liable for a slip or fall accident under the following circumstances:

    • The property owner or an employee caused the slippery or dangerous surface.
    • The owner or an employee must have been aware of the dangerous condition and did nothing to rectify it.
    • The owner or an employee should have known about the dangerous condition because any reasonable person would have discovered the problem and taken care of it expeditiously.

    Contact Us to Pursue Compensation for Your Injuries

    Whether you were injured on a residential or commercial property, or on private land, we urge you to contact a Fairfield County personal injury lawyer from our firm. Slip and fall accidents are extremely common, and we are well-aware of the types of injuries and financial losses that they can cause. Let our firm help you pursue the full compensation that you deserve!

    To find out how we can help you, contact our Fairfield County personal injury firm today to schedule your free consultation with a friendly member of our legal team!